Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Cap repair

A few months ago my son's favorite cap started to fray around the brim/bill..
 I got some bias tape and was going to stitch it on when I realized the brim was made out of heavy duty plastic.. 
so I used some mod podge instead...

 Worked out so well I did my husband's favorite cap as next.. they have been holding up really good.. washing them by hand now but still looks good..
Went over by my dad's place and saw one of his favorite caps that he had just washed looking rough.. he was delighted to hear I could fix it as mom had been telling him to toss it.. he wasn't about to lol 

The bias tape was what was left over from fixing my son's darker tan cap but Dad was happy to go with a slightly darker color if it meant I didn't have to buy anything extra


First I trimmed off all of the frayed edges


I folded the bias tape in half after measuring it to make sure it would go around the brim/bill.. with a little extra to spare as it tightens up a bit
I just finger pressed it.. I got tape that was fairly wide so I could fold it in half making it thicker and hopefully more durable


The mod podge is kind of hard to see in this photo but I applied a even layer with a small craft paintbrush...
 apply the mod podge to the bias tape only on the layer that would touch the brim/bill ... using sewing/craft clips as I went, a couple of inches at a time so it wouldn't dry out before. I used just enough mod podge to cover it evenly, it will soak through to the top layer when clipping it down as I found out with the last two.. but I didn't want it too saturated as it changes the look. 



I placed the clips touching each other to make sure there's a good secure hold all the way across 



I removed the clips after a couple of hours and let it dry over night  

 
Good to go .. a little less going to the landfill and they are happy to be able to keep their favorite caps 

No comments: