Friday, April 26, 2024

Yarn scraps for needle felting

I always have yarn scraps hanging around.. when I got my felting needles a couple of weeks ago 
I decided to use this gallon sized bag stuffed full to practice ... 

Okay over three weeks later I will admit I had no clue how much effort and time it would involve... 


I pulled colors as I needed them for whatever project I was working on.. some days I sorted colors out and just worked on brushing.. for hours at a time 



I got a couple of dollar store pet brushes.. around the end of week three they started losing some of the metal bristles .. but as many dozens and dozens of hours as I put them through hard brushing, I think they held up pretty well for the price..

 I had everything from nice super soft shiny to down right harsh scraps.. mostly in between stuff like Red Heart... 
In my experience Red Heart was much easier to brush out and quicker to felt then the smoother shinier Simply Soft scraps although they did make for some beautiful monster hair LOL ( post coming soon )

Red Heart before 

and after brushing 


I finally finished brushing the last of the scraps out last night after doing another marathon of six or seven hours straight.. ugh 
and I have a shopping bag full of baggies still left after dozens of smaller projects 


Side note 
I actually had to buy a box of sandwich baggies.. not something I do often .. I reuse them over and over again until they literally fall apart.. apparently it's been a few years as I could only find a few.. well I should be set for some time now ...... 
 

A few upcoming projects will be .....


I am going to try my hand at glitter eyeballs and polymer clay claws.. I just found some polymer clay at the dollar tree, small amounts in five or six different colors I think ... per pack just perfect size for doing some claws and possibly some beaks


As soon as I manage to de-scent my new pattern books enough to work with I'll start a few of these...
 Look at those hats on the Impkins... definitely looking forward to this... They are in a bag of dry rice .. slowly getting better... I could live without the added fragrance .. if it takes too much longer I am going to resort to taking photos of the pages LOL in the meantime I'm going to work on glitter eyes


Oh and the hairy monsters post 

Planning on mixing up some embroidery needle felting and beads also... 

No comments: