Sunday, September 26, 2021

Handmade labels

I decided I wanted to add labels to some of my items.. 
Didn't see any I really liked for sale..
I want a rustic feel, simple..
 non perfect.. you know not looking store brought..

Want everyone to be just a bit different.. even if it's just the way it's folded and seamed..
So set out to make my own.. 
While I want them to be some what individual in appearance I also don't want to spend too much time on just a label..

Checked out a couple of YouTube videos..
The ones I ran in to first used transfer paper for ink jet printers.. and ribbon..

Wasn't thrilled about the shininess of the over all look but thought I would give it a try.. got the transfer paper but couldn't find ribbon I liked.. so I was thinking of making bias tape.. 
I wanted the look of muslin if I could get it worked out .. should be able to make bias tape with easy enough..
then a older video popped up using freezer paper to print on fabric.. while I was working out how to mirror image my typing.. I don't have the programs or want to buy into any used in the videos so it was taking a bit.. I did work it out by jumping between a couple of free ones.. but that freezer paper one got me ..
No flipping the image.. no shinny plastic topping.. no edges to deal with..
I could use the muslin and get a rustic look.. plus I have freezer paper on hand for applique work.. 
It took a few trys to get everything worked out with my printer..
 the thinner fabric worked much better.. kept the heat light enough to not warp the freezer paper.. used Avery templates .. I have been using Avery labels for our egg cartons for years now.. perfect fit and easy to use.. plus no added cost.. 
I sell in person in my town as well as online.. my online shops and blog were started long before we started doing reiki at local events.. we are known as The Reiki Shack in town.. after a bit we added eggs and craft items to our events.. all charged with reiki of course .. people ask me where my crafts can be found online.. so for now I am adding labels that list my Etsy shop name.. 




 I just cut them out and press.. I used a bit of stick glue to make that easier.. 

I decided to over stitch longer ones on to my yarn items and add folded ones to seams on my cloth items.. 
Quick and easy to switch up.. doesn't take too long to make.. low cost.. and the look I was going for... 

No comments: