Monday, October 21, 2019

Card Tablet Weaving the begining

I love making bags.. but knit and crochet straps not so much.. takes forever to get a nice thickness that doesn't stretch and is strong enough..

 last year I started to inkle weave bands, while I haven't made one in since last summer, in those few months I fell in love with them..
wasn't able to get back to weaving until yesterday .. I decided to give tablet/card weaving a try..

I used my inkle loom as I don't have an area where backstrap could be easily done ..
 my work area is about 1 3/4 by 4 yards .. including my rocking chair and desk.. my beads mostly fit under my desk/table , yarn is being stored in hallway leaving very little walk way lol ..thankfully it is temporary :) ..
even trying to set up the warped cards was a bit of a challenge, used 9 four hole cards, in each hole about five feet of older than my adult sons acrylic yard .. was gifted to me not long ago, great way to try this out without a big cost, total of about 60 yards.. I didn't warp up much yardage both due to having no clue if I was even going to be able to pull it off and space issues.... using this yarn did add an extra level of difficulty as it was almost felting with so much movement, even with that it went pretty fast.. 
as far as other costs I got a new deck of cards ( cut to 2 1/2 inches ) and a hole punch.. about two bucks together.. I by chance saw a video on how to use barrel swivels for fishing line to attach your yarn together if you are planning on doing a pattern that goes mostly in one direction.. great tip highly agreed after only one go at it .. those were about $3.. for 35 ( sz 5 ) plenty of extras ... had a key ring already although I will be using more than one next time.. to tie the yarn to one side and the swivels with the other end of the warp yarn hooked up to..  the simple pattern I picked is only two colors and forward turning.. had I not added the swivels it would have been a whole different story ..



I got 1 inch wide by about 22 inches long band.. I stopped a few inches short of what I could have worked up thinking it would be long enough for a hat band.. it's super dense.. flat out love it.. this is going to add a fun and hopefully pretty strong and element to my bags..
total cost of $5. ( without yarn or the supplies I already had, loom, beater and shed stick ) the cards can be used again as the swivels.. paper punch is a much needed replacement.. not bad for trying out a new craft :)








No comments: