Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Easy scarf?

 

Awhile back I was gifted a couple skeins of Lion Brand Homespun Tartan stripe


 one skein was untouched the other had a couple of yards rewrapped around the outside of it...
I have always liked the soft, thick, richly colored yarn, was definitely happy to have more

I had used it many times before. while knitting 

I now see why so many crocheters grow frustrated ..
after trying to make what should have been a super simple scarf.. 

I wanted a scarf with nice a drape, a bit thicker than knit 

I like the look and feel of half double crochet ( American terms ) scarfs . plus the mindlessness of making them is a nice stress reliever.. 
I knew a larger hook was called for as a larger needle works up so much easier . didn't think I would end up with P 11.50mm though lol
Started with a K hook, after awhile gave up, too hard to see the stitches.. they just blended in to the point I couldn't easily tell if I was going through the top loops or not having to feel out every stitch.. not exactly mindless work ..
tried L next easier to see the stitches.. but after a bit it was clear the drape wasn't what I wanted.. frogged again.. 
I considered going with a different yarn but the colors are perfect .. the shot of the skeins is without any natural light.. the other two were taken in full sunlight.. either way beautiful 

Finally I ended up going with the P hook.. I own one but have never actually made a project with it before.. 
I love the end result the drape is relaxed not too thick but will be cozy warm and I finally got my easy scarf, and it worked up faster than expected.. sweet 


255 yards of bulky ( 6 ) yarn
Hook size P 11.50mm
Gage isn't essential to this project however five stitches equals 3.5" by four rows equals 3"
My finished scarf is 8 inches wide and 82 inches long
Written in American terms
Ch= chain
Hdc= half double crochet 

1) Ch 16, hdc into second ch from hook, hdc 14, ch 1 turn

2) Hdc 15, ch 1 turn 
Repeat row 2 until desired length is reached, fasten off, weave in ends 

Super easy .. when you get the hook size right lol 

No comments: