Friday, July 16, 2010

Masters Prayer Shawl


I made this for our reiki master/teacher/instructor, a prayer shawl. Hence the name lol
The main body is made top down, in stocking stitch with the increases down the center and edges.
She likes horses so I used the horse shoe stitch for the trim, upside down to keep the luck in ;) plus a few rows of knit stitch.
I used Caron’s Simply Soft Shadows in Dark Moss, while I loved the colors and feel of it, I was not happy with all the knots and "off" spots of yarn.

When I got the yarn I fell for the colors, and they did look good on her, but had I known how many breaks there would be in just four balls I would have picked something else.
After deciding on a pattern and having little time to redo anything, I stuck with getting more of the same yarn even after both of the first two balls had a break. The third and forth had 4 breaks EACH.
So after a lot of wasted yarn and lots of weaving in ends, I can not say for sure how much yarn I used :( having also run out of time I forgot to take the last measurement, I believe the measurement below to be a close estimate.

All in all the look and feel of the yard did work. I don't think I'll run out to get more though.


Masters Prayer Shawl
Size 9 US needles
Gauge 11 rows by 8 stitches per 2 inches, however exact gauge is not essential to this project
600 yards of medium weight yarn. I used almost 4 ball of Caron’s Simply Soft Shadows in Dark Moss.
76” by 30” approximately
k = knit
k2tog = knit 2 stitches together
kf/b = knit into the front and back of the next stitch
p = purl
psso = pass slid stitch over
Sl 1 = slide one stitch purl wise
yf = yarn to the front ( to make new stitch )
* * = repeat instructions between as many times as indicated
( )x = repeat directions inside brackets as many times as indicated


 pdf can be purchased

on ravelry
 
 
 
 
 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The shawl turned out beautifully. I would certainly send a letter to the yarn manufacturer letting them know how their yarn was. That's not right.

Unknown said...

I love the shawl, I want to make it for a woman who has had 3 brain surgeries and numerous strokes, but I can't print it out. We have 3 printers in the house and not one of them will print out the highlighted areas to print the pattern - can you suggest how I can get the pattern?

Also, I'm a member of a charity knitting group with a church in town and have e-mailed this patern to the ladies, none of whom can print it out, but would love to make it.

Our group donates to 7 hospitals in the New England area, including cHad, the children's hospital at Dartmouth.

Is there any way you could help, so that I can make a copy of your beautiful pattern.

Thank you,

Fran

Barbra Szabrowicz said...

Fran,
I'd be happy to email you a copy you can print out.
Leave a comment with the email address you'd like it sent to ( I won't post the email address )
Thank you
Barb

Anonymous said...

Can you please give a more detailed instruction? I'm fairly new at knitting and these are hard for me to understand...Thank you!!

Barbra Szabrowicz said...

Hello Kyrie,

The pattern is written so that can be made to any size you like as long as you do it in multiples of 10 stitches plus 1 more stitch...
so 101 stitches would work or 221 and so on.. as long as you can divide the total number of stitches by 10 then add 1..

the first part of the shawl is a 2 row repeating pattern
first row.. has an increase of 4 stitches ( the knit row ) if you place stitch markers at the increase it makes it much easer.. no need to count it out each row.. increase as follows
k2, increase 1, knit until the center stitch, increase 1, knit the center stitch, increase 1, knit until the last 2 stitches, increase 1, knit the last 2..

the second row..
2 knit stitches, purl until the last 2 stitches and knit them ( creating the boarder of the upper part along the side edges )

repeat these two rows starting with 7 cast on stitches until you get to the size you want without the broader..

the second part ( the bottom boarder )..

All rows that say just purl or knit you do that for the whole row..
if the row reads as ( as in row 4 of the boarder/trim )
k1, *yf, k3, sl 1, k2tog, psso, k3, yf, k1* to end
you would knit 1, increase 1, knit 3, slide 1, knit 2 together, pass the slid stitch over the stitch just worked, knit 3, increase 1, knit 1.. you would repeat all but the first knit stitch of the row until you have worked all of the stitches.. how many times depends on how many times you can dived the total number of stitches of the body of the shawl by 10... 221 stitches would be the first knit stitch plus 22 repeats of the pattern

k1, *p9,k1* to end as in row 9, you would knit the first stitch then purl 9 stitches, knit 1.. repeat purling 9 and knitting 1 until the end of the row..
all of the stitches used are listed on the top of the pattern.. it may help to write it out until you get used to the abbreviations