I made this for our reiki master/teacher/instructor, a prayer shawl. Hence the name lol
The main body is made top down, in stocking stitch with the increases down the center and edges.
She likes horses so I used the horse shoe stitch for the trim, upside down to keep the luck in ;) plus a few rows of knit stitch.
I used Caron’s Simply Soft Shadows in Dark Moss, while I loved the colors and feel of it, I was not happy with all the knots and "off" spots of yarn.
When I got the yarn I fell for the colors, and they did look good on her, but had I known how many breaks there would be in just four balls I would have picked something else.
After deciding on a pattern and having little time to redo anything, I stuck with getting more of the same yarn even after both of the first two balls had a break. The third and forth had 4 breaks EACH.
So after a lot of wasted yarn and lots of weaving in ends, I can not say for sure how much yarn I used :( having also run out of time I forgot to take the last measurement, I believe the measurement below to be a close estimate.
All in all the look and feel of the yard did work. I don't think I'll run out to get more though.
Masters Prayer Shawl
Size 9 US needles
Gauge 11 rows by 8 stitches per 2 inches, however exact gauge is not essential to this project
600 yards of medium weight yarn. I used almost 4 ball of Caron’s Simply Soft Shadows in Dark Moss.
76” by 30” approximately
k = knit
k2tog = knit 2 stitches together
kf/b = knit into the front and back of the next stitch
p = purl
psso = pass slid stitch over
Sl 1 = slide one stitch purl wise
yf = yarn to the front ( to make new stitch )
* * = repeat instructions between as many times as indicated
( )x = repeat directions inside brackets as many times as indicated
Cast on 7 stitches
1) k2, ( yf, k1 )x 3, yf, k2
2) k2, purl to last 2 stitches, k2
3) k2, yf, k3, yf, k1, yf, k3, yf, k2
4) k2, purl to last 2 stitches, k2
5) k2, yf, k5, yf, k1, yf, k5, yf, k2
6) k2, purl to last 2 stitches, k2
7) k2, yf, k7, yf, k1, yf, k7, yf, k2
8) k2, purl to last 2 stitches, k2
Continue in this manner,
Yf ( to make new stitch ) after the first 2 stitches, around the center stitch and before the last 2 stitches. The next row, k2, purl to last 2 stitches, k2
until you reach 251 stitches, or any multiple of 10 + 1.
1) k2, purl to last 2 stitches, k2
4) k1, *yf, k3, sl 1, k2tog, psso, k3, yf, k1* to end
6) p1, *k1, yf, k2, sl 1, k2tog, psso, k2, yf, k1, p1* to end
7) k1, *p9, k1* to end
8) p1, *k2, yf, k1, sl 1, k2tog, psso, k1, yf, k2, p1* to end
9) k1, *p9, k1* to end
10) p1, *k3, yf, sl 1, k2tog, psso, yf, k3, p1* to end
13) k10, * kf/b, k10 * to end
14 - 17) knit
Bind off and weave in ends.