Friday, September 25, 2009

Super Bulky Slippers

My guys liked their slippers so much I thought I'd share the pattern it with you all.
I got the idea for these from a really nice book Socks, Socks, Socks. They have a very pretty lacy pattern for ladies slippers called S.O.S. They use the flat knit heel and in the round for the rest of the foot technique.
However I don't have little girls, I have large boys. Large footed boys. Who don't wear lace ; )
I also prefer the knit stitch to continue for the whole of the pattern, and wanted them to be much stronger and thicker.

I went with 2 strains held together through out. One of bulky homespun and the other a worsted weight acrylic yarn. I tried Simply Soft in gray with one pair. I do not recommend this, as both Homespun and Simply Soft spilt quite a bit even with the large needles. They did come out really soft and thick. I'm told they are very comfy. So I guess they were worth the effort. I went with Caron's worsted weight for the second pair. Much easier to work with only one yarn splitting, and just a bit thicker so they came out pretty good too. I do think I'll go with a different bulky yarn altogether for the next pair.








The first part of this pattern ( heel ) is worked flat then seamed up the back. The foot and toes are worked in the round.
I used the magic loop method for this pattern. The cuff is optional, pattern works quite well without it.

130 yards ( cuff included ) of each worsted weight and bulky weight . I used Lion Brand’s Homespun in Mediterranean held together through out with Caron’s ( one pound )Forest green. I used Simply Soft in gray for the pair without cuffs.

Gauge 3 stitches by 4 rows
Size 10 US circular needles
Fits men's 11 to 12 ½ US shoe size

Stitches
K = knit
K2tog = knit 2 stitches together
P = purl
1 by 1 ribbing = knit 1 stitch, purl 1 stitch, repeat. Always purling the purl stitches and knitting the knit stitches. Continue in this manner

Cast on 30 stitches using both yarns through out.


Knit 4 ¾ inches ( flat ) or until you get just past the ankle. This creates the opening for the foot. You want to make sure it will fit over the heel when seamed.

Join in the round. This will be the start of your round.

1) purl
2) knit
Repeat 1 and 2
5) purl
6) k7, k2tog, k12, k2tog, k7
7) purl
8) knit
9) purl
Repeat 8 and 9
12) k6, k2tog, k12, k2tog, k6
13) purl
14) k5, k2tog, k12, k2tog, k5
15) purl
16) k5, k2tog, k10, k2tog, k5
17) purl
18) knit
19) purl
20) k5, k2tog, k8, k2tog, k5
21) purl
22) k4, k2tog, k8, k2tog, k4
23) purl
24) k3, k2tog, k8, k2tog, k3
25) purl
26) k3, k2tog, k6, k2tog, k3

Grafting the toes

You’ll need to change the placement of your loop to graft the toes. Purl the first 4 stitches of the round. Rearrange loop so you have 7 stitches on the top of the foot and 7 on the bottom with the last purled stitch being the stitch on the bottom right. Graft toes.


Sew up back of the heel and weave in ends.

Optional cuff
Pick up stitches starting at the back of the heel along the foot opening do 1 by 1 ribbing for 1 ½ inches. Bind off loosely. I used the Jeny’s surprisingly stretchy bind-off on Knitty.com

No comments: