Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Mermaid hair

I have been on a quest for a doll hair I like... Been running across this style a lot recently ...
You stitch a few strands of yarn to the top of the head going back in a line 
The part down the middle is nice... It is quick.. 
 

This one call ed for a wig cap .. I am assuming to give it a bit fuller look.. definitely better with the cap but still not what I was looking for 

I tried adding a line of strands along the front.. helped unless you moved the doll


Took off the wig cap and re-stranded it adding another shade of purple... 
The next couple of photos turned out a bit too bright, I tried using natural light thinking we had enough cloud coverage, LOL back to artificial light

I tried a variation of a technique I had seen stranding it through the inside of the wig cap
this way it lies more like natural hair..  not a quick way to make hair... took hours, and a lot of yarn but if you're looking to stash bust this will definitely help with that
I like the way it looks but I had sent her aside while I was considering whether or not I liked it enough to put on her it just seemed off. In the meantime I started another doll from the same book.. a fairy this time but use the same hairstyle as the original mermaid.........

I decided with this one to make a wig cap and use a thinner yarn with more shine, I spaced the strains out a bit more and then unraveled each strand..


It definitely adds more time to the project but I was going for a medium full look

After unraveling the strands I used a hair straightener to tame down some of the hair.. that's when I decided this wig cap was perfect for the mermaid and switched gears



I wasn't thrilled with the minimal facial features after adding the hair so I added a nose but she still needed more

I added eyebrows and enhancements around the safety eyes, some blush  ... 
and added lips.. she still needed more


I added shells .. a bit fuller lips and worked with her hair a bit more.. I ended up braiding her hair in huge braids then going over it with my hair straightener to heat set it a bit ... Love the end result..... Now I need to make her a better doll stand is this one keeps trying to flop over LOL.. I have a couple more things I want to add before I put this one out for sale .. I'll save that for another post is this one is quite long as it is.. 

No comments: