Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Yarn Scraps

 I make a lot of multi colored hats and scarfs during the holiday selling season leaving me with lots of smaller amounts of yarn .. along with being gifted a lot of leftover yarn from family and friends.. 

 
I put them aside until I pretty much have to do something with them lol 

I do use up whatever I can when I can, still however manage to end up with a fairly good sized amount of balls of varying weights and lengths.. I keep them sorted by weight or length

I save the tail ends also
 
and trims after making pom poms or weaving in ends
 

I've shared a few of the ways I use them over the years,..
when making my multi colored hats I add the tails to the pom poms or make small pom poms for other projects

 
small pom-poms can be used in many ways but these guys are one of my favorite ways 
           scrap yarn pom pom critter 
Used to get critters something like this in gumball machines when I was a kid.. so darn cute

I also use small and tiny scraps in some of my sewing and other projects to add texture, interest, high lights ot details.. like this haunted house brooch. I added green yarn for bushes and brushed out white yarn for a hazy cloudy look.. 


as well as stuffing small projects of course and as hair for small dolls or random ties for things like cords.
 I have been using so many of the two inches or less ones,  I haven't added much to my ball of knotted yarn ends..  it is only few inches thicker than the photo 
 

I made a really fun long tail hat with one of my knotted balls of longer lengths .. going to give that another try soon, working on writing the pattern.. 


I really don't have many cotton left overs either as I have been using them to make scrap cloths so often.. just a simple single crochet or knit stitch as wide and long as needed..
while looking for the photo of the knotted yarn ball I was reminded of this can cover.. I used it for ages .. the ends added so much thickness to it not only did it keep drinks cold longer but it soaked up the condensation from the can better.. 

Super simple knit pattern

So I have several projects in the works that are geared towards using up my scrap yarn right now... 
I am reminding myself to keep photographing the steps as I go.. 
I tend to start strong until I get caught up with the actual crafting.. realize a few steps later how many I skipped.. this is why I haven't posted any of them yet.. ugh photography is not my strong suit lol 

My scrap bag will be a multi posting as I'm planning on doing some light applique work on it..   the body of the bag is similar to this one I made my mother last year.  
 
She has been adding many of the brooches I have made for her to it .. I will have to try a catch a current photo if possible..
 
I just finished another hdc scrap scarf that is really a great scrap yarn project.. need to take a few photos of it finished .. for that posting.. 
 as it's really not my strong suit my son takes most of the finished project photos when time allows.. 
 this one was made using the same technique.. see why he takes the photos...
  
I love that scrap yarn projects are all one of a kind items.. 

The next few months are going to have a lot of fun simple ways to use up scraps of different sizes .. stay tuned 

No comments: