Friday, February 10, 2023

Pink Heart

A couple of days ago I bought a gnome with the intention of using some parts to make another gnome that was put together a bit more sturdy and gift worthy.. see link below... 

 upcycled dolloar store gnome post

I crocheted my gnome smaller than the original one without the bling, so I wanted to add a heart pin that was removable for a touch of sparkle.. gifting it to my mother who has started collecting pins I make on a bag ( I also made, pattern coming soon ) she loves gnomes and pins.. not so hot on pink though.. going to have to work something out with that .. 

This is the finished project

I actually remembered to take photos as I went along .. 

I wasn't sure what I wanted to do.. pretty much how I start all of my projects lol.. so I grabbed some supplies.. some didn't get used, others were added along the way

I took what was the front of the original gnomes hat.. after removing the flat sequins- those are for another project- cut out a rough outline.. wanted overlap on the front so it needed to be larger than the pellon 70 heart shape I had cutout for the beading base


I used regular sewing thread in a matching color to hand stitch it to the base, wrapping around the edges


Then trimmed off the extra



Added some of these cute gems I picked up from hobby lobby



Added some silver flower sequins with pink seed bead center along with a strip of the mesh ribbon with silver edges.. I was thinking of put some brushed yarn for interest under it but was so close in color it faded into the backing..  went with a bullion stitch rose in multi pink and white colors embroidery floss instead.. 

Added a few pink sequins along the other top side.. 


After stitching down the pin fixture.. at a slight angle.. I glued a small piece of the felt fabric that was the back of the original gnomes hat, it is so thin it is see through and areas but worked perfectly to level off the back making it smooth with the folded over front fabric, I like this dry thoroughly before going on a second peace to cover the entire back.


I used my live in place along the edges for just a few minutes I wanted to guarantee a secure seal bit didn't want to leave an permanent indication in the fabric..

After the glue dried I did a mattress stitch all the way around the edge using a metallic pink embroidery floss




 








No comments: