Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Llama brooch

Just love that llamas are turning up everywhere... 
Saw some really cute embroidery ones on Pinterest close to what I was thinking of doing.. 

 
 
I wanted mine to be a bit more fluffy than any I saw..  

I had just harvested some sequins from some dollar store appliques 

I decided to use the foam to thicken my llama"s fur
 
                   I pieced them together using stick glue to hold in place.. on Pellon 70 interfacing 
 
I clipped them for a short time .. 
dries really fast  and doesn't get any gunk on the needles
 
 
I wanted a bit of the foam showing though, in a darker color on top then the lighter color under that for depth.. 
no foam on the hoofs or face..

 black size 11 seed beads for the hoofs.. stitched down with Nymo D 

 three strands of embroidery floss held together for the main body
,
 used a "rough" colonial knot, purposely made stitches uneven, not in a row, some over lapping others for more of an outgrown furry look  

 for the face I put a piece of  thinner white felt after darkening the material underneath it again for more depth..
 two strands of black embroidery floss for the details of the face.. 

The blanket has a thin bullion wire trim with crystal and glass seed beads.. not quite finished in this photo 

I made three small tassels using embroidery floss and attached them around the neck with crimp cover caps in between for beads...  because I didn't know I wanted to add them before attaching the tassels firmly down lol .. a couple smaller gold tone ones on the outsides, with two slightly larger sliver tone ones in the middle


For backing I went with a fairly thick piece of tan felt, after stitching on the pin fixture



glued down with a fair amount of matte mod podge... to add a bit of stiffness and act as an light adhesive

 
I use clips for the first hour or so, remove and let dry overnight

 trimmed after fully dry

The mod podge holds fairly well when dried but not well enough to count on ..
 I really like the stiffness it adds without adding any extra layers or trying to work everything through a stiffer base

 stitched around the outline catching both layers well, with seed beads and white Nymo size D to hold everything together 





Took awhile to get all the knots done but very happy with the layered effect and over all look









No comments: