Friday, April 10, 2009

Yo yo Scrubbies

Now add free pdf for purchase  in my ravelry store

So today was a trip to the dentist for DS1, while they try to make the waiting room as nice as possible I would go mad without my knitting. As would happen I found myself without anything on my needles that could be taken along!!!!!!!!!!! So I bagged up some cotton and acrylic, grabbed some needles and ended up with this......


I'm big on scrubbies, so I tend to make quite a few. Trying different techniques, yarns, needles sizes, flat, round anything and everything has been turned into a scrubbie around here ; ) but I must say this is my first yo yo scrubbie.
My boys got the idea to turn it into a yo yo when they saw me working with it, trying to add on a string for hanging it. This is not the first time they have taken a scrubbie and turned it into a toy. Some make great flying disks ; ) They got it to work, not well but it was going up and down!!

So for everyone who wants to make dishes or bath time more fun here's the pattern



Yo yo Scrubby

4 ½” across, 2” tall
19 yards of worsted weight 100% cotton
18 yards of worsted weight 100% acrylic
Size 11 US needles
Thread needle

Cast on 29 sts with acrylic.
Row 1: k1, yo, k3tog, * yo, k2tog * repeat to last stitch, yo, k1.
Row 2: k1, kf/b, k to last 3 stitches, k2tog, k1.
Change to cotton, leaving acrylic uncut.
Repeat rows 1 and 2 carrying unused yarn along seam. Switching colors every 2 rows, for a total of 14 repeats ending in cotton. Bind off, leaving tail for seaming.

Seaming
Sew the cast on edge to the bind off edge wrong side facing. Weave in loose ends leaving tail.
With tail, thread through closest edge weaving in and out ( drawstring style ), pull tight to close hole. Turn right side out, using same tail weave open edge in same manner, pull tight. Secure center by stitching through center a few times, weave in end.

Turn on side, tie securely in middle with cotton yarn leaving long end with a slip knot, for yo yo string, making sure both sides are even.
kf/b = knit in front and back of same stitch.

2 comments:

Holly Burnham said...

Barb....you need to share this on The Knitting Haven....you will cause lots of smiles as they look at your scrubbies!

Barbra Szabrowicz said...

Thanks Holly