Thursday, April 30, 2009

Sunhat

Okay so my garden got bigger this year. My plan had been to keep it small and tight to the trailer.
The reasoning was I wouldn't be out in the sun as long to water. There is no skipping watering, it is a must. At this stage with seeds just popping open, it needs to be done no less then twice a day. Hot days, 3 or 4 quick hits is the best way to go. The thing is it takes a least 30 minutes for each quick hit.
I have most of my plants in the shade for part of the day, but at one time or other it's sunny. Add that with hanging clothes out to dry at least 7 times a week, and you got a lot of time in the sun.
Now I'm not real fond of wearing hats, making them yes, wearing ...... no. However last fall I got burned pretty bad at a Biden rally. We really had a blast, but I was laid up for a good week with cold wet clothes on my face around the clock. I was lucky enough to get lots of new wrinkles too ; )
Okay with all of that said, I needed a hat to get through this summer. Now there are a lot of sunhat patterns out there I could have gone with one of those, if I could have found one my guys didn't laugh at. As I did still want help even if the neighbors could see me, I was willing to work with them.
DS#1 wanted to know why most had holes in them, that would not keep out the sun. You'd end up with a spotted sunburn ; ) Why not go with a looser weave and cotton.
Okay that sounded good to me, but DS#2 didn't find my first attempt at a brim any less laughable, as it was large and ruffled. I was told the wind would take it in fast order. At this point it was very clear they have spent way more time outside down here than I have.
So no lace, loose weave, cotton yarn, no ruffles, small enough brim to block some sun but not so big the winds get it.

It could be done.

I did make the brim out of acrylic, to hold it's shape better, but as long as it doesn't touch your skin it works.



Fits 22 ½” head
Gauge 4sts.by 6 rows to one inch
Five size 8US dpn needles
Pay pattern can be found on Ravelry

 http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sunhat


It does stay on in the wind, and even though it's not lacy, it's much cooler then the sun cooking your head and face. : )

2 comments:

Joy said...

I'm not much of a one for hats, but sometime needs must! That's a lovely hat :-)

Unknown said...

Thank you Thank you thank you!!!! I am picking up stitches and you helped wonderfully!!!