Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Hole Star





The Hole Star Ornament

I wanted to hang crystals on my tree but they were so small you couldn't see them, so I made this star to hang around the crystals. You can use any small item you like.
I used fingering weight in white. Yarn with a bit of sparkle would also be nice.

I used size US 4 needles, for the larger one ( 4 3/4" across by 5" wide ) and US 3 for the smaller one ( 4 1/4" by about 4 1/2" ).

Cast on 9 sts. Leave a tail long enough for seaming at end.
Row 1 - Knit ( ws )
Row 2 - K1, K1F/B, K5, K2tog.

Repeat for a total of 10 times.

Knit one more row and bind off all but one stitch.

Pick up 8 sts. along the left edge. ( right side facing )
Making sure not to go all the way to the end as this is what gives you the hole.






Repeat for a total of six times, on the last one bind off all stitches. Seam the edge and weave in ends.


K1F/B = knit into the front and back of same stitch.
K2tog = knit 2 stitches together.

I used the K1F/B increase because I like the look of it, but you can use any increase you like to give them a different look.

No comments: