Saturday, April 14, 2018

Sashay yarn ponytail holders

 
I was gifted a rather large box of Red Heart Sashay Boutique yarn among many other brands of similar yarns.. I made a couple of scarfs with it..
while they claim to work up fast, that was not my experience
  it never failed that I would have to set it down and walk away.. pick them up and pull the stitches out .. ugh.. way too much effort for an item that wasn't selling anymore..
 
I got so tired of it I used many skeins as bulky yarn and crocheted it on an Q hook.. looks cool enough but takes a lot of yardage
I still had dozens of skeins left.. many just a single skein of each color.. not enough to make a bulky scarf or ruffled for that matter, some of the colors just didn't go together well enough to use on one item
 
I had seen how ponytail holders were being made from them.. but they were always finished off in my opinion.. rather sloppy..
Pulling the whole yarn through the last stitch and just leaving the end hang loose.. or tied in a big knot ..
both of which come undone with wear..
 
I just didn't like the look.. plus I dislike making anything that can't stand up to wear ..
truthfully one of the big reasons I dislike the ruffle scarfs patterns out there as well, if you pay for an handmade wearable item it should hold up for at least a washing..
I just don't like it..
 
I don't wear my hair up ever.. so the though of the ponytail holders passed pretty fast lol..
Until my sister came over wearing one.. with ends tied together.. making a pretty item look half done..
 
ok fine time to make a few..
if nothing else something to put on the table for market.. or a quick gift
 
I have sewn the ends of all of the ruffle scarfs I made in the past.. with the end kind of tucked under itself.. another reason they took me longer ;)  I'm telling ya I don't like loose ends LOL ..
 they still didn't look great to me..
 
with working in the round I hoped seaming them together would give it a more "finished" look
 
 
Sewing thread was too thin to do a good job..
crochet thread size 10 however works great..
 
I have many colors to match up with the Sashay yarn but not quite enough..
so embroidery floss for those.. ( 3 strains not the full 6 )
 
takes more time to sew them than to slip stitch around elastic band.. but worth the effort..
  
 

 I used about four yarns of Sashay yarn, size H8/5.00mm hook to slip stitch each..
some yarns looked better with less.. some more..
I just worked until they looked full..

 
Next I seamed the ends together.. after tying the end of the thread or floss I was using to seam with to the last slip stitch "live" loop .. I sewed a few stitches around that slip stitch just to be sure it wasn't coming undone..
 
 making sure to "capture' all of the loose ends ... I tucked them in a bit as I seamed.. making sure not to get too bulky
 
  I also trimmed of the longer edge of the Sashay yarn so it would sew up evenly.. and not hang lower
 


that was it.. nice and smooth.. no worries about hiding the knot under the ponytail .. not as fast as other methods I am sure but hopefully they hold up well... now to get someone to try them out and maybe even a photo with one in use
 
 


No comments: