Thursday, January 28, 2010

Buttons

So I was on Ravelry the other day and saw a thread on "how do you start a button jar," just asking how you may have come about yours.
I must admit I have more than one jar, or can, or box etc. I didn't realize just how many I had. Now I didn't count each one, the number of jars, cans, boxes were enough to see I would never need to buy another one again ;)
I've had my own button jar for 40 years or so. It goes back to when my Grandma taught me to sew when I was 3 years old. Most of the "first" buttons were used making doll clothes, but have long since been replaced.
When my Grandmother could no longer sew, she gave me hers. Her crafting came out of need most of the time. With seven boys and little money, she saved everything she could, and made most everything else. Her jars held mostly work clothes buttons. Very useful.


My Great Grandmother on the other side, also kept buttons. While she had her fair share of "work" buttons, she had saved some of the coolest buttons too. I used to go through the as a small kid, so cool. I now own those buttons as well. She would make more art type things, pillows and the like.

Now what to do with some of these?????




I got these done a couple of weeks ago.


I used "I Love This Cotton." The feel is so soft, really like the colors, easy to work with unless you need to rip anything. Got stopped on the grafting of one of the toes and ripped a few stitches. The yarn started to come apart!! The socks feel great to wear, but the are not holding up well :(
I used part of a pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks "Yarn over Cable" Hard to see in the photo but I think they came out well enough.

No comments: