Monday, January 26, 2009

Icelandic lace shawl photo

It's done.

So I tried really hard to follow the pattern as written, mostly so I could say I did someones pattern as they saw it. Without my in put. Well I still can't say that.
After seeing a photo of it laid out, I just couldn't go with that much white!! ;) I had changed the other colors to my liking, So I just added those into the upper part as well.

I used acrylic so I'm not going to bother with blocking. Mine came out the size the pattern said it would with smaller needles and lighter yarn after blocking, so I'm really glad I sized everything up. It must really take some serious blocking to get it to size up that much. From all the posts I've read on this pattern even after blocking many wished it was bigger. Luckily I had decided on the sizing up before I cast on or even read the posts. Sometimes it all works out. :)

I had wanted it to have a softer edge and no loops hanging down so I didn't do the bind off as written, or the optional top border, as it came out busy enough.
I can't say I'll do this pattern again, but I do like the way it came out, all in all. :)

Sunday, January 25, 2009


Wow it's been awhile. It's been a good month in spite of everyone being sick with flu/head cold. We're starting to get over it now (knock, knock).
My oldest son got another year older, the next day my hubby did the same. Then the next day we got to watch Obama make history. Even with colds it was a wonderful time. We cooked out as the weather was on our side. Spent a lot of time together. All in all it was a lot of fun.
However head colds make it hard to knit lace. Counting and recounting really helped. Don't like to frog (who does!), but ended up doing just that with no less then four rows, as there are hundreds of stitches in each row it added up to a good amount of time, but as I said we were having a good month and not even frogging could get me down. It helps that I'm almost done ;)

Friday, January 2, 2009

Icelandic Lace Shawl

I started this two nights ago

I had made a shawl a while back that was nice and all but way smaller then I would have liked, so with this one right off the bat I wanted to make sure it would be big enough. With that in mind I went up a few sizes with the needles I'm using size 7us, I also went with heaver yarn worsted weight, oh I also changed the colors a bit.